This Georgian house, built in 1776, has been the home of the Redemptorist Fathers and Brothers since 1851.
We Redemptorists are a worldwide congregation of men committed to living and preaching the Gospel in ways that are meaningful to the place and culture in which we live.
Originally called Eton House, it was built by Hezekiah Kirkpatrick, a Unitarian Minister, who wished to establish a school for boys. He was followed by a former teacher of Eton College, Mr. Fitzpatrick, who wanted to make it the "Eton of the North".
However, he too had departed by the turn of the century, and the house had several occupants before becoming, in 1843, the residence of the Roman Catholic Bishops, Brown and Sharples. From then on, the house came to be known as "Bishop Eton".
With the re-establishment of the Catholic hierarchy in 1850, Bishop Brown became Bishop of Liverpool (Bishop Sharples died that year) and the house became vacant. Thousands of refugees from the Irish potato famine had flooded into Liverpool and were living in material and spiritual squalor. Many Catholic Religious Congregations of men and women were invited to the city to provide for their spiritual, material and educational needs.
At the special request of Liverpool's champion of the poor, Canon Nugent, the Redemptorists were invited to occupy Bishop Eton in 1851.
Since 1851 Bishop Eton has been a base for mission preaching in the city and beyond; a college for aspirants to the Redemptorists; a retreat centre for clergy and lay people; and more recently a parish house and comfortable home for retired Redemptorist priests and brothers.